Last Updated on Nov 21, 2017

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which doctor should I consult to rule out vesicoureteric reflux in my child?

You should consult a pediatrician who will assess the condition of your child. Mild VUR can be treated by the pediatrician but children with severe VUR will be referred to the pediatric urologist for surgery.

2. What is urinary reflux?

Urinary reflux refers to back or reverse flow of urine from the bladder into the ureter and up into the kidneys.

3. What is ureteral reimplantation surgery?

Ureteral reimplantation surgery refers to surgically disconnecting the terminal portion of the ureter at the point of entry into the bladder and reattaching it at the correct angle. It is done for severe cases of VUR.

4. Can someone with reflux nephropathy have dialysis or a kidney transplant?

Patients with severe reflux nephropathy who have progressed to renal failure may benefit from dialysis or transplant

5. Is kidney scarring due to reflux nephropathy reversible?

No. It is not possible to reverse kidney scarring due to reflux nephropathy. It is therefore important to diagnose and treat VUR early and thereafter monitor the patient on a regular basis.

6. Is it possible to prevent vesicoureteric reflux?

It is important to avoid urinary infections which can cause ureteral scarring and VUR. Encourage your child to drink plenty of fluids and pass urine every 3-4 hours. Treat infections promptly. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and wholegrain cereals to avoid constipation.

Most Popular on Medindia