What is Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy?
Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy has emerged as a new treatment modality, which plays a beneficial role in hair re-growth.
PRP therapy is a medical treatment where a person's blood is drawn, processed and then injected into the scalp. The blood drawn is centrifuged, where it separates the platelet-poor plasma, platelet-rich plasma and red blood cells.
The platelet-rich plasma is injected into the scalp, where the platelets release numerous growth factors. These growth factors act on the bulge area of the follicles and stimulate the growth of new hair follicles. They also promote the formation of new blood vessels in the scalp area to boost the supply of oxygen and nutrient-rich blood towards the scalp in order to promote hair growth.
What is the Procedure of PRP Therapy for Hair?
Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy is a four-step procedure. The steps are as follows:
The doctor will first discuss all the details related to your health like:
- Your family history
- Diet and nutrition
- Medications and supplements you take
- Hair care regimen - like which hair products you use and how often
- Medical history and recent surgeries
- History of hair loss
A general physical examination is performed at the start of the therapy, where you need to undergo blood tests and scalp biopsy to decide your eligibility for PRP hair therapy. Once everything is normal and taken care of, your doctor will explain to you the procedure and the guidelines.
Approximately 30 or 60 ml of blood will be drawn up into a syringe typically from your arm. The amount of blood depends upon the size of the area to be treated.
The blood is then spun in a centrifuge, a machine where the blood is separated into three layers:
- Platelet-poor plasma
- Platelet-rich plasma
- Red blood cells
About 8-12 ml of platelet-rich plasma is drawn into the syringe and injected into the scalp areas to promote hair growth. Before injecting the plasma, your scalp area is anesthetized and a disinfectant is applied.
- Platelet-Rich Plasma in Androgenic Alopecia: Myth or an Effective Tool - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4134641/)
- The Effect of Platelet-Rich Plasma in Hair Regrowth: A Randomized Placebo-Controlled Trial - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4622412/)
- Current clinical applications of platelet-rich plasma in various gynecological disorders: An appraisal of theory and practice - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6030616/?report=classic)
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) in dental and oral surgery: from the wound healing to bone regeneration - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3683340/)
- Role of platelet-rich plasma in ischemic heart disease: An update on the latest evidence - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4620078/)
- Stem-cell therapy and platelet-rich plasma in regenerative medicines: A review on pros and cons of the technologies - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6306612/)