What is Leaky Gut Syndrome?
Leaky gut syndrome (LGS) is a condition that occurs when the wall of the small intestine is damaged and becomes highly permeable to substances. As a result, the gut “leaks” out undigested food particles, pathogenic microbes, and toxic waste products into the bloodstream and cause a wide variety of symptoms arising from inflammatory and allergic reactions.
Controversy Regarding Leaky Gut Syndrome
At the outset, it should be stated that a controversy exists amongst the mainstream (allopathic) medical fraternity with regard to LGS. This branch of the medical sciences is of the opinion that there is insufficient solid evidence to support the existence of LGS. There is also disagreement with reference to the efficacy of the various treatment regimens, ranging from nutritional supplements to herbal remedies that are recommended for alleviating the wide variety of conditions, supposedly caused by a leaky gut. Therefore, the present article discusses LGS from the standpoint of complementary or alternative medicine.
- Odenwald MA, Turner JR. The intestinal epithelial barrier: a therapeutic target? Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2017; 14(1): 9-21. DOI: 10.1038/nrgastro.2016.169. PMID: 27848962. - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27848962)
- Leaky gut: what is it, and what does it mean for you? - Harvard Medical School - (https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/leaky-gut-what-is-it-and-what-does-it-mean-for-you-2017092212451)
- Mu Q, Kirby J, Reilly CM, Luo XM. Leaky gut as a danger signal for autoimmune diseases. Front Immunol. 2017; 8: 598. DOI: 10.3389/fimmu.2017.00598. PMID: 28588585. - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28588585)
- “Leaky Gut Syndrome” - National Health Service (NHS), UK - (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/leaky-gut-syndrome/)
Latest Publications and Research on Leaky Gut Syndrome
- [Treatment strategies of patients with transthyretin amyloidosis cardiomyopathy]. - Published by PubMed
- [Research progress on the relationship between circular RNA and cardiovascular diseases]. - Published by PubMed
- [Research progress on the association between intestinal flora and hypertension]. - Published by PubMed
- [Successful emergency hybrid treatment for aortic rupture in a pregnant patient with congenital aortic coarctation]. - Published by PubMed
- [A case of perforated esophageal ulcer after radiofrequency ablation of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation]. - Published by PubMed