Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which doctor should I consult if I have eye allergy?

You should consult an eye specialist or ophthalmologist.

2. Can symptoms of eye allergy occur in only one eye?

No. If red and watery eyes occur only in one eye it is unlikely to be caused by allergy.

3. What can I do at home to reduce symptoms of eye allergy?

Apply a wet compress on the upper eyelid. Remove contact lenses until the symptoms subside. Try using over-the-counter artificial tear eye drops to dilute the allergen and remove it.

4. Does allergic conjunctivitis spread from one person to another?

No. Allergic conjunctivitis is not contagious and does not spread from one person to another.

5. What is pink eye?

Pink eye is a condition also causing red and watery eyes but it is caused by bacteria or virus. The symptoms usually begin in one eye unlike allergic conjunctivitis (both eyes). Pink eye is contagious unlike eye allergy.

6. What foods cause eye allergies?

Foods that cause allergy can also affect the eyes. These include milk, eggs, fish, nuts, soya and Gluten.

7. How long does it take for allergic conjunctivitis to go away?

The symptoms of allergic conjunctivitis may persist until the offending agent is eliminated from the body and there is no further exposure.

Most Popular on Medindia