Last Updated on Nov 09, 2017

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which doctor should I consult for swollen red and tender skin that appears to be spreading?

Consult your GP or family physician. If the condition is not serious he will prescribe antibiotics and painkillers. For more serious infections you can consult a dermatologist (skin specialist).

2. What is another name for erysipelas?

Erysipelas is also known as St. Anthony’s fire.

3. Which area is commonly affected by erysipelas?

Erysipelas of the leg is the most common clinical condition encountered.

4. Is there a cure for erysipelas?

Yes, erysipelas when treated early, can be cured.

5. Is there a difference between cellulitis and erysipelas?

Erysipelas is a form of cellulitis that occurs in the outer layers of the skin, especially the face and the legs.

6. Is erysipelas contagious?

No, erysipelas is not contagious as the infection is present within skin layers.

Most Popular on Medindia