What is Eardrum Perforation?
Tympanic eardrum perforation is the medical name for a ruptured eardrum. The eardrum is the thin tissue that separates the outer ear from the middle ear and it acts as a barrier to infection. The membrane acts
There are different types of tympanic membrane perforations based on the following factors:
- Dry perforations – Absence of fluid (pus or blood) drainage
- Wet perforations – Presence of drainage
2.Duration of perforation
- Chronic – Perforation lasts for more than 3 months
- Acute – Perforation that lasts < 3 months
The type of perforation influences the healing rate. Eardrum perforations may heal in a few weeks if they are wet or acute. In certain cases, surgery may be required if the perforation does not heal within 6 months, i.e. in chronic cases.
- Ruptured eardrum (perforated eardrum) – Mayo Clinic: - (https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ruptured-eardrum/symptoms-causes/syc-20351879)
- Ruptured eardrum - (https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/001038.htm)
- Eardrum (Tympanic membrane) perforation - (http://entcolumbia.org/health-library/eardrum-tympanic-membrane-perforation)
- Isaacson JE, Vora NM. Differential diagnosis and treatment of hearing loss. Am Fam Physician. 2003; 68(6): 1125-32.
- Sogebi OA, Oyewole EA, Mabifah TO. Traumatic tympanic membrane perforations: characteristics and factors affecting outcome. Ghana Med J. 2018; 52(1): 34-40
- Mehta RP, Rosowski JJ, Voss SE, O'Neil E, Merchant SN. Determinants of hearing loss in perforations of the tympanic membrane. Otol Neurotol. 2006; 27(2): 136-43.
- Gao T, Li X, Hu J, Ma W, Li J, Shao N, et al. Management of traumatic tympanic membrane perforation: a comparative study. Ther Clin Risk Manag. 2017; 13: 927-31.
- Park H, Hong SN, Kim HS, Han JJ, Chung J, Seo M-W, et al. Determinants of conductive hearing loss in tympanic membrane perforation. Clin Exp Otorhinolaryngol. 2015; 8(2): 92-96.
- Al-Juboori AN. Evaluation of spontaneous healing of traumatic tympanic membrane perforation. Gen Med. 2014; 2: 129.
- Ryan MA, Kaylie DM. What is the optimal age to repair tympanic membrane perforations in pediatric patients? Laryngoscope. 2016; 126(10): 2201-2
- Villar-Fernandez MA, Lopez-Escamez JA. Outlook for tissue engineering of the tympanic membrane. Audiol Res. 2015; 5(1): 117.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Smitha S. Dutt. (2019, February 02). Eardrum Perforation - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment. Medindia. Retrieved on Dec 04, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patientinfo/eardrum-perforation.htm.
Dr. Smitha S. Dutt. "Eardrum Perforation - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment". Medindia. Dec 04, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patientinfo/eardrum-perforation.htm>.
Dr. Smitha S. Dutt. "Eardrum Perforation - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patientinfo/eardrum-perforation.htm. (accessed Dec 04, 2022).
Dr. Smitha S. Dutt. 2021. Eardrum Perforation - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment. Medindia, viewed Dec 04, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patientinfo/eardrum-perforation.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Eardrum Perforation
- [Treatment strategies of patients with transthyretin amyloidosis cardiomyopathy]. - Published by PubMed
- [Research progress on the relationship between circular RNA and cardiovascular diseases]. - Published by PubMed
- [Research progress on the association between intestinal flora and hypertension]. - Published by PubMed
- [Successful emergency hybrid treatment for aortic rupture in a pregnant patient with congenital aortic coarctation]. - Published by PubMed
- [A case of perforated esophageal ulcer after radiofrequency ablation of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation]. - Published by PubMed
Do you wish to consult an Otolaryngologist / ENT Specialist for your problem? Ask your question
21 years experience
4 years experience
Trishika ent care, seethamdhara, Visakhapatnam
20 years experience