Last Updated on Feb 12, 2019

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which doctor should I consult for ear deformities?

Babies should be typically shown to a family physician who will be able to perform a medical examination and, if necessary, do hearing tests and imaging tests to distinguish between ear deformity or ear malformation. They will refer the baby to Plastic surgeon.

2. What are syndromal and non-syndromal-associated ear deformities?

Ear deformities may be a result of health syndromes in other parts of the body (chromosomal disorders, Crouzon syndrome) that may cause functional defects in the ears. Non-syndromal (combined external and middle) ear deformities affect only the ear and are not associated with health conditions affecting other organs of the body.

3. What are the complications of ear deformities?

Ear deformities, if left undiagnosed and untreated, can cause psychological problems for those affected. The children may exhibit depression, reduced academic achievement, anxiety, and withdrawal from society with few friends.

4. What are the structural features that can pose risks to middle ear surgery?

Cleft palate, increased growth of the adenoid glands, septal deviation, are some features that, if present, could be challenging to successful surgery.

5. What is bilateral atresia auris congenita?

Bilateral atresia auris congenita is the medical term to indicate combined external and middle ear malformations in both ears. In such cases, the internal ear is normal in function.

6. Does the presence of an earlobe crease indicate heart disease?

Ear malformations may result or may be a symptom of an underlying disorder or syndrome that may affect organs, such as the heart, kidneys, the spine, or the brain.

Most Popular on Medindia