What is Dry Eye Syndrome?
Dry eye syndrome is technically termed as keratoconjunctivitis sicca, which means 'dryness of the cornea and conjunctiva' in Latin. Dry eye syndrome is a chronic progressive condition due to lack of moisture and lubrication, resulting in constant irritation of the surface of the eye. This is often accompanied by inflammation, redness, and scarring of the surface of the eye, causing blurred vision.
Prevalence of Dry Eye Syndrome
Dry eye syndrome is a very common eye disorder and is more prevalent in women than in men. It occurs in 5-34% of people and varies between different populations. In the case of older individuals, approximately 70% are affected.
Composition of Tear
Tear is composed of the following three components:
- Aqueous Component: This consists of water, which is secreted by the lacrimal glands located behind the outer aspect of the upper eyelids. The main function of the aqueous component is to keep the eye surface moist.
- Lipid Component: This is an oily secretion of Meibomian glands in the eyelids. This is composed of fats (lipids) and helps to lubricate the eye surface and prevents the tear film from evaporating too quickly.
- Mucin Component: This has a mucus-like consistency and is secreted by goblet cells in the conjunctiva, the outer membrane which covers the sclera (white of the eyes). This component helps to anchor and spread the tear across the surface of the eye.
- Facts about Dry Eye - National Eye Institute, National Institutes of Health (NIH), USA - (https://nei.nih.gov/health/dryeye/dryeye)
- Dry Eye Syndrome - Medline Plus, U.S. National Library of Medicine - (https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/000426.htm)
- What is Dry Eye? - American Academy of Ophthalmology - (https://www.aao.org/eye-health/diseases/what-is-dry-eye)
- Dry Eye - American Optometric Association - (https://www.aoa.org/patients-and-public/eye-and-vision-problems/glossary-of-eye-and-vision-conditions/dry-eye)
- Dry Eye Syndrome - Kellogg Eye Center, Michigan Medicine - (https://www.umkelloggeye.org/conditions-treatments/dry-eye-syndrome)
Latest Publications and Research on Dry Eye Syndrome
- [Treatment strategies of patients with transthyretin amyloidosis cardiomyopathy]. - Published by PubMed
- [Research progress on the relationship between circular RNA and cardiovascular diseases]. - Published by PubMed
- [Research progress on the association between intestinal flora and hypertension]. - Published by PubMed
- [Successful emergency hybrid treatment for aortic rupture in a pregnant patient with congenital aortic coarctation]. - Published by PubMed
- [A case of perforated esophageal ulcer after radiofrequency ablation of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation]. - Published by PubMed
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Kaushik Bharati. (2018, October 13). Dry Eye Syndrome - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment and Prevention. Medindia. Retrieved on May 28, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patientinfo/dry-eye-syndrome.htm.
Dr. Kaushik Bharati. "Dry Eye Syndrome - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment and Prevention". Medindia. May 28, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patientinfo/dry-eye-syndrome.htm>.
Dr. Kaushik Bharati. "Dry Eye Syndrome - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment and Prevention". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patientinfo/dry-eye-syndrome.htm. (accessed May 28, 2022).
Dr. Kaushik Bharati. 2021. Dry Eye Syndrome - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment and Prevention. Medindia, viewed May 28, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patientinfo/dry-eye-syndrome.htm.
Do you wish to consult an Ophthalmologist for your problem? Ask your question
10 years experience
Shantived Institute of Medical Sciences, Sikandra