Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which doctor should I consult for benign prostatic hyperplasia?

A General Practitioner (GP) must be first consulted, with description of symptoms. The GP may then refer you to a urologist.

2. Can drugs help in shrinking the enlarged prostate gland?

Yes, drugs like Proscar (Finasteride) and Avodart (Dutasteride) help in shrinking the prostate.

3. What tests are usually conducted to confirm if a person suffering from BPH?

A digital rectal examination is performed by the physician where a finger is inserted into the rectum to check for prostate enlargement. PSA blood test is done to check the levels of PSA in blood. Generally, the PSA levels increase for men suffering from enlarged prostate gland.

4. What foods must be avoided for BPH?

Red meat, caffeine, and alcohol are some of the substances which must be avoided, as they aggravate BPH symptoms.

5. What drugs should be avoided in BPH?

Antihistamines like diphenhydramine, decongestants such as pseudoephedrine and NSAIDs must be avoided.

6. Is BPH curable?

Yes, BPH is curable.

7. Is BPH (Benign Prostate Hyperplasia) the same as Prostate cancer?

BPH and prostate cancer both have similar symptoms and the prostate gland is enlarged. However, BPH is benign and is not cancerous. It does not spread to other parts, whereas, prostate cancer can spread to other parts of the body.

8. Who is more likely to develop BPH?

Men with the following factors are more likely to develop BPH.
  • 40 years of age or older
  • family history of BPH
  • lack of physical exercise
  • erectile dysfunction

Most Popular on Medindia