What is Drug-Resistant Tuberculosis?
Drug-resistant tuberculosis (DR TB) occurs when the bacteria Mycobacterium tuberculosis which causes tuberculosis becomes resistant to the drug(s) normally used to cure tuberculosis. DR TB also spreads through air, in the same way as drug-susceptible TB. It is very important to diagnose and treat drug-resistant TB, as it can be debilitating and cause death.
What are the Types of Drug-Resistant Tuberculosis?
There are two main types of drug-resistant tuberculosis:
Multidrug-resistant TB (MDR TB)
Extensively drug-resistant TB (XDR TB)
This is caused by bacteria which are resistant to first-line anti-TB drugs like Isoniazid and Rifampicin or drugs like Ethambutol or Pyrazinamide. In addition, the bacteria are also resistant to fluoroquinolones like Levofloxacin, Moxifloxacin and to at least one of the second-line injectable drugs like Capreomycin, Kanamycin or Amikacin. This is a rare form of MDR TB and the treatment options are very limited.
Treatment of MDR TB
- Drug-Resistant TB - (https://www.cdc.gov/tb/topic/drtb/default.htm)
- Drug-Resistant Tuberculosis - (https://www.tbalert.org/about-tb/global-tb-challenges/drug-resistant-tb/)
- What Is Multidrug and Extensively Drug Resistant TB? - (https://www.lung.org/lung-health-and-diseases/lung-disease-lookup/tuberculosis/drug-resistant-tb.html)
- Drug Resistance Mechanisms in Mycobacterium tuberculosis - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4790366/)
- Non-Steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs As Host-Directed Therapy for Tuberculosis: A Systematic Review - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5492311/)
- What is multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB) and how do we control it? - (http://www.who.int/features/qa/79/en/)
Latest Publications and Research on Drug-Resistant Tuberculosis
- [Treatment strategies of patients with transthyretin amyloidosis cardiomyopathy]. - Published by PubMed
- [Research progress on the relationship between circular RNA and cardiovascular diseases]. - Published by PubMed
- [Research progress on the association between intestinal flora and hypertension]. - Published by PubMed
- [Successful emergency hybrid treatment for aortic rupture in a pregnant patient with congenital aortic coarctation]. - Published by PubMed
- [A case of perforated esophageal ulcer after radiofrequency ablation of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation]. - Published by PubMed