What are the Causes of Computer Vision Syndrome?
Uncorrected or under corrected vision problems
- Contact lens users may suffer from dryness or infections of eyes which may increase their chances of CVS
- Improper seating posture
- Improper viewing distances
- Improper viewing angles may make you bend your head closer or tilt your head towards the computer screen resulting in pain in the back and neck muscles
- Constant focus and refocus of the eyes. When your eyes have to constantly adjust between reading notes, typing and checking the screen along with the flicker and glare of the screen, your eye muscles are under a lot of constant strain which may cause CVS
- Exposure to continuous reflections and glare of the computer screen and other digital devices for more than two hours daily
- Poor resolution or contrast of computer
- Poor lighting from overhead lights, lampshades, windows or between computer and surroundings
- Working nonstop and taking inadequate breaks or rest periods
What are the Symptoms & Signs of Computer Vision Syndrome?
The symptoms and signs of computer vision syndrome or digital eyestrain include:
- Blurred vision, difficulty in focusing, double vision
- Dryness of eyes
- Irritation, redness and burning in eyes
- Neck and shoulder pain
- Stiffness and pain in the back
- Tired feeling in the eyes
- Difficulty or slowness in changing focus between far and near distances
- American Optometric Association- Computer Vision Syndrome - (https://www.aoa.org/patients-and-public/caring-for-your-vision/protecting-your-vision/computer-vision-syndrome)
- Understanding and Preventing Computer Vision Syndrome KY Loh and SC Redd - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4170366/)
- A clinical study on “Computer vision syndrome” and its management with Triphala eye drops and Saptamrita Lauha - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3215371/)
- Sankaranetralaya- Computer Vision Syndrome - (https://www.sankaranethralaya.org/patient-care-cvc.html)
- Computer Vision Syndrome- Diagnosis, treatment, cure and prevention - (https://www.shroffeye.org/patient-information/healthcare-articles/computer-vision-syndrome/)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Sunita Chowdhary. (2020, September 18). Causes, Symptoms and Signs of Computer Vision Syndrome. Medindia. Retrieved on Dec 01, 2023 from https://www.medindia.net/patientinfo/causes-symptoms-and-signs-of-computer-vision-syndrome.htm.
Dr. Sunita Chowdhary. "Causes, Symptoms and Signs of Computer Vision Syndrome". Medindia. Dec 01, 2023. <https://www.medindia.net/patientinfo/causes-symptoms-and-signs-of-computer-vision-syndrome.htm>.
Dr. Sunita Chowdhary. "Causes, Symptoms and Signs of Computer Vision Syndrome". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patientinfo/causes-symptoms-and-signs-of-computer-vision-syndrome.htm. (accessed Dec 01, 2023).
Dr. Sunita Chowdhary. 2020. Causes, Symptoms and Signs of Computer Vision Syndrome. Medindia, viewed Dec 01, 2023, https://www.medindia.net/patientinfo/causes-symptoms-and-signs-of-computer-vision-syndrome.htm.
Do you wish to consult an Ophthalmologist for your problem? Ask your question
17 years experience
Shree Ramakrishna Netralaya , Vashi, Navi Mumbai
15 years experience
6 years experience
Olive Christian Hospital and Research Centre, Dimapur
32 years experience