Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which doctor should I consult if my child has this problem?

A pediatric surgeon is the ideal doctor to treat this condition. A hepatologist shall be required in cases of liver transplantation.

2. Is biliary atresia congenital?

Biliary atresia can be congenital or acquired. i.e. present either at birth or develop few weeks after birth.

3. Is biliary atresia genetic?

No. Biliary atresia is not a genetic disorder. Research yet remains unclear on whether it is caused by a mutation in the genes controlling the formation of bile duct.

Most Popular on Medindia