A cardiologist or cardiac surgeon should be consulted for bicuspid aortic valve disease.
2. Can a bicuspid aortic valve be repaired?
The bicuspid aortic valve can be repaired only if the damage / calcification is minimal.
3. How does one select the type of valve for replacement procedure?
The choice of valve will depend on patients’ health status, age, lifestyle and other factors. For example, if the patient is not very much active with respect to sports, a mechanical valve may be a good option.
4. How long does it take to replace an aortic valve?
The surgical procedure to replace an aortic valve can last anywhere around 2 to 4 hours.
5. Will surgical procedure for valve replacement involve opening of chest?
Valve replacement procedure may require sternotomy (opening of chest bone) or may require only a series of small incisions.
6. How long does it take to recover from open heart valve surgery?
The normal recovery time after heart valve surgery is usually four to eight weeks.