Antipsychotics: A class of drugs used to treat psychosis, such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
Bipolar Disorder: A brain disease associated with extreme mood swings, characterized by depressive and manic episodes.
Cerebral Cortex: Outer layer of the cerebrum that plays an important role in consciousness.
Cognition: A mental action involved in perception and processing of thoughts, experiences, and sensations.
Dementia: Decline in mental ability that interferes with daily functioning.
Frontal Lobe: The front part of the brain that controls important cognitive skills in humans.
Parietal Lobe: One of the four major lobes of the cerebral cortex in the brain of mammals.
Schizophrenia: A personality disorder that affects the ability to think, feel and behave properly, thereby hindering social functioning.
Stroke: Also known as cerebrovascular accident (CVA), it occurs when the supply of blood to the brain either stops or is reduced.
- Anosognosia: Treatment Advocacy Center - (http://www.treatmentadvocacycenter.org/key-issues/anosognosia)
- Anosognosia: GoodTherapy.org - (https://www.goodtherapy.org/blog/psychpedia/anosognosia)
- Anosognosia Keeps Patients From Realizing They’re Ill - (https://psychnews.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/pn.36.17.0012)
- De Carolis A, Cipollini V, Corigliano V, Comparelli A, Sepe-Monti M, Orzi F, et al. Anosognosia in people with cognitive impairment: association with cognitive deficits and behavioral disturbances. Dement Geriatr Cogn Dis Extra. 2015 Feb 17; 5(1): 42-50. DOI: 10.1159/000367987. PMID: 25852731.
- Lehrer DS, Lorenz J. Anosognosia in schizophrenia: hidden in plain sight. Innov Clin Neurosci. 2014 May-Jun; 11(5-6): 10-17. PMCID: PMC4140620.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Kaushik Bharati. (2018, April 03). Anosognosia - Glossary. Medindia. Retrieved on May 16, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patientinfo/anosognosia-glossay.htm.
Dr. Kaushik Bharati. "Anosognosia - Glossary". Medindia. May 16, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patientinfo/anosognosia-glossay.htm>.
Dr. Kaushik Bharati. "Anosognosia - Glossary". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patientinfo/anosognosia-glossay.htm. (accessed May 16, 2022).
Dr. Kaushik Bharati. 2021. Anosognosia - Glossary. Medindia, viewed May 16, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patientinfo/anosognosia-glossay.htm.
Do you wish to consult a Psychologist for your problem? Ask your question
7 years experience
Jasam Counselling Centre, Madipakkam