Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which doctor should I consult if I suspect a vitamin A deficiency?

Talk to your family physician and voice your concerns if you suspect a vitamin A deficiency. Most nutritional deficiencies are a result of poor diet and nutrition and your doctor may suggest a change in your food habits. He may also prescribe certain supplements and tests and may refer you to a specialist.

2. How are fat soluble vitamins such as vitamin A different from water soluble vitamins?

Fat soluble vitamins are different from water soluble vitamins as fat soluble vitamins can be stored in the body for long periods of time in the fat cells and can cause / lead to toxicity when consumed in excess. Fat soluble vitamins also need fat in food for their absorption into the blood stream from food during digestion. Excess intake of water soluble vitamins is not harmful as the excess vitamins that are not required flow out of the body through urine.

3. Is excessive vitamin A harmful?

Vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin. Intake of this vitamin A through natural means from food products will not lead to toxicity. However, indiscriminate consumption of vitamin A supplements without the consultation of a doctor can lead to problems as too much of vitamin A can lead to toxicity.

4. What can I do to protect myself from vitamin A deficiency?

Eating a variety of natural foods is one of the best ways to ensure adequate intake of Vitamin A. Vitamin A is naturally found in a wide variety of fruits and vegetable especially those that are yellow-orange and dark green in color. In addition, vitamin A is also found in dairy products and meat. Consuming these foods on a regular basis ensures that you receive your required dose of vitamin A.

Most Popular on Medindia