Frequntly Asked Questions

1. Which doctor should I consult for achalasia?

You should consult a gastroenterologist.

2. When should I consult a doctor?

If you find it difficult to swallow or experience painful swallowing, in spite of treatment for achalasia, you should immediately consult a gastroenterologist.

3. Is achalasia serious?

In the absence of treatment, achalasia can become serious there may be significant weight loss and malnutrition, as well as the risk of esophageal cancer.

4. Is achalasia a rare disease?

Yes. Its incidence is 1.6 per 100,000 individuals.

5. Can death occur due to achalasia?

Yes. This can occur as a result of accidental aspiration of food and liquids.

Most Popular on Medindia