The event was conducted by three organizations in collaboration with each other. The European Breast Cancer Coalition, The European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC) and the European Society of Mastology (EUSOMA) are the trio organizations.
This event saw the views of all the major breast cancer advocacy groups and institutions in one arena. It manly discussed about the existing treatment facilities and how to improve it.
According to Dr A. Costa, the chair of the European breast cancer Conference, and Dr S. Kyriakides, co-chair it was said that at least one in ten will experience breast cancer. This is a major public health priority. The main aim is to improve breast cancer care for all those patients across Europe.
The various goals set by the conference are as follows:
1. To improve the number and quality of European breast cancer screening programmes.
2. To increase the funds allocated to support breast cancer research.
3. In detail and accurate breast cancer staging system to be designed to improve prediction of outcome.
4. To clearly define metastatic breast cancer guidelines.
5. Increase the number of breast care nurses to improve patient care and quality of life.
6. Standardization and accreditation is necessary to ensure the breast units meet guideline requirements.
7. Give recognition and encouragement to the role played by charities in breast cancer research.