About Careers Internship MedBlog Contact us
Medindia LOGIN REGISTER
Advertisement

H5N1 Bird-flu Confirmed in France

by Medindia Content Team on February 25, 2006 at 5:44 PM
Font : A-A+

H5N1 Bird-flu Confirmed in France

Authorities in France are on tenterhooks, preventing the spread of the deadly virus H5N1, which is confirmed to exist on a turkey farm in the Eastern past of France. The farm in Versailleux,on Thursday, that witnessed the illness of many turkeys, was just 200mts away from the lake where wild ducks were among the first to get the bird flu virus in France, confirmed only last week.

This is perhaps the first time that a European Union farm has got the bird-flu infection. Nearly 80% of the 11,000 birds at the farm have died in the past week, and the remaining 20% have been culled.

Advertisement

France is said to be the largest contributor of poultry among the European countries, which is almost an annual $8bn industry. The sales of poultry in France have dropped by 30%. Japan has already imposed an import ban. To salvage this industry, France is due to commence vaccination of its birds against bird-flu.

According to scientists, this virus is extremely virulent, which upon mutation can spark off a pandemic outbreak that can kill millions of people.

Advertisement

Advertisement
News A-Z
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
What's New on Medindia
Test Your Knowledge About Chromosomes?
Eating During Sunlight Hours Minimizes Mood Vulnerabilities
Know More About the Digestive System
View all
Recommended Reading
News Archive
Date
Category
Advertisement
News Category

Medindia Newsletters Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

More News on:
Bird Flu 

Most Popular on Medindia

Pregnancy Confirmation Calculator Blood - Sugar Chart Drug Side Effects Calculator Vent Forte (Theophylline) Find a Doctor Find a Hospital Loram (2 mg) (Lorazepam) Post-Nasal Drip Blood Donation - Recipients Sinopril (2mg) (Lacidipine)
This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Use
×

H5N1 Bird-flu Confirmed in France Personalised Printable Document (PDF)

Please complete this form and we'll send you a personalised information that is requested

You may use this for your own reference or forward it to your friends.

Please use the information prudently. If you are not a medical doctor please remember to consult your healthcare provider as this information is not a substitute for professional advice.

Name *

Email Address *

Country *

Areas of Interests