It is believed that almost one-third of all cancers are preventable by changes in our life style and food habits. Exercising regularly and loosing excess weight also helps. To lose weight one should also have fiber rich food. The National Cancer Institute in US recently approved the dietary guidance: "Diets rich in fruits and vegetables may reduce the risk of some types of cancer and other chronic diseases." These foods are rich with antioxidants and protect the DNA from damage by free-radicals.
The list of top 10 Anti-cancer fruits and vegetables that can help are listed as follows:
1) TOMATOES: contain Lycophene and has been linked to lower risk of prostate, ovarian and cervical cancer.
2) GARLIC: Stimulate the body's anti-oxidants. They also have antibiotic like substances. Protective against stomach, esophageal and breast cancers.
3) BERRIES: rich in anthocyanins that repair and protect DNA. Includes.Blueberries, cranberries, cherries, raspberries, strawberries and grapes.
4) BROCCOLI SPROUTS: contains Sulforaphane and indole-3-carbinol protect against prostate, bladder, colon, pancreatic, gastric, breast and other hormone-related cancers.
5) SOYBEANS: Isoflavones may help prevent and treat prostate cancer and may reduce breast cancer risk.
6) TEA: Both black and green contain powerful antioxidants and shown in numerous studies to be useful in lowering risk of many cancers of the body.
7) PUMPKIN: contains carotenoids called beta-carotene and alpha-carotene and protects against lung and ovarian cancers. Other food rich in carotenoids include: carrots, yams, squash, melons and sweet red peppers.
8) SPINACH: It has antioxidant lutein. Prevents cancers of
liver, ovaries, colon and prostate. Antioxidant lutein is also found in kale and other leafy greens.
9) APPLE: Apple a day keeps the doctor away!! It has quercetin and pectin. Quercetin may reduce the risk of lung cancer prostate cancers. Also known to help in preventing colon and liver cancer cell replication.
10) PINEAPPLE: It has a called enzyme bromelain and phenolic compounds. It protects against lung and breast cancer. Health writer Liz Szabo in her story in the newspaper USA TODAY said, "A growing body of research shows that, once inside the body, fruits and vegetables spring into the role of superheroes, fighting cancer and other diseases in at least eight simultaneous ways. And, like the Super friends, they seem to work better as a team".