NRI Doctors Relocate to India

by VR Sreeraman on  March 19, 2007 at 2:51 PM Indian Health News
RSS Email Print This Page Comment bookmark
Font : A-A+

NRI Doctors Relocate to India
Brain drain is being reversed it seems, thanks to the boom in the Indian economy.

Many foreign and Indian doctors settled abroad are now seeking to relocate to India.

The Artemis Health Science (AHS), a premier medical institution in Gurgaon, near India's capital, New Delhi, says it is getting a lot of enquiries from foreign doctors in the United States and the European Union.

Doctors over there want to visit the facility and then take a final decision on taking up a job in this country, says AHS.

Dr Hassan Tehrani, a 39-year-old British citizen, has given up a flourishing career as a cardiac and endovascular surgeon in the US and has moved over to Gurgaon.

He says, "Initially, I was skeptical, but a couple of trips later, I saw it as a lifetime opportunity. And my mind was made up," he says.

He says there was little room for personal growth in the US and that he wanted to do much more than merely treating patients. The sheer number of patients and cases one will handle in India would be a challenge by itself and hence exciting, he feels.

Max Healthcare, New Delhi, is another leading institution and it claims to offer an integrated healthcare system. It says it too receives a lot of inquiries from foreign doctors who are keen to come to India.

Dr Shabnam Singh, who handles physician recruitment in Max Healthcare, notes that as many as 20 per cent of the applicants for a recent vacancy were from outside the country. In the last three months, a senior NRI dentist, a plastic surgeon and a cardio-vascular surgeon have joined the hospital.

The Hospital Doctor magazine, published in the UK, says a number of young British doctors are exploring job prospects in India and other countries.

Experts point out that after IT, the healthcare sector is now poised for a big leap.

Multi-national corporations are setting up new Research and Development Centres and super-speciality hospitals.

Yet others feel growing medical litigation and restrictions on clinical research are making life more and more difficult for researchers in the US. In the process India is becoming a new lodestar, making many flock here.

Source: Medindia

Post a Comment

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
Notify me when reply is posted
I agree to the terms and conditions

Can A NRI who studied outside India can come back to India and practice in India

Dr. Oendrilla Bhattacherjee

I finished my MBBS degree from University of Phoenix,USA.Now doing internship. Intend to do MD in Gyanac.
Is it possible to do In India?


Sir we are running a charitable healthcare project in india at Faridabad . We NEED help of NRI doctors to get directly -- indirectly invole in our hospital , If any one wants to join our hopspital for charity is highly welcome , all doctors can write us at


i am an Ukraine citizen with an Indian heritage,i hv license to work in Ukraine as an urologist,i want to work in your it possible? [Dr. J.A.KAMAL] 380662445020

More News on:

Eradicate Quackery, Save Lives Laymanís Guide to Understanding Medical Specialists 

News A - Z


News Search

Medindia Newsletters

Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!

Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Find a Doctor

Stay Connected

  • Available on the Android Market
  • Available on the App Store

News Category

News Archive