Professor Allan Clover from the University of Newcastle upon Tyne said there was very little evidence suggesting that the prescription of adrenaline injection kits for conditions like nut allergies had saved lives.
Writing in the British Medical Journal, he said that overstating the dangers 'leads to unnecessary alarm for many families.' He explained that that severe food allergy is extremely rare. He stated that for example in England, only eight children younger than 16 had so far died from severe reactions during the entire decade of the 1990s. He further explained that kids usually outgrow these allergies.