The recommendations follow the investigation into death of retired doctor, Pierre Drolet, 61, who was stung by a bee on golf course in the Eastern Townships three years ago and died as the medications he had in his golf bag were outdated and the ambulance couldn't reach in time to safe his life.
Ramsay's investigation concluded that one of the several factors that contributed to Drolet's death was having outdated medications. The coroner estimated that around 45% of allergy sufferers were equipped with outdated EpiPens and hence wants manufacturers to provide medication renewal notices to the patients.
It was also noted in the investigation that the ambulance had arrived almost 15 minutes after the first call to 911 because of calls being not being directed to the proper emergency centers and also because of the ambulance driver getting lost and stopping for direction which led to delays. By the time the ambulance reached the spot, the patient had stopped breathing and efforts to resuscitate him by the paramedics failed.
The coroner has called for global positioning system in the ambulance that would show drivers where to go and the shortest routes available, and also recommended computer assisted dispatching at emergency centers to avoid such delays in the future.
As most clubs are far away from city centers, the coroner has also recommended implementation of emergency procedures in Quebec's golf clubs as the average age of golfers playing in these golf clubs is over 65.