The Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Hospital in Kalyani, 40 km north of Kolkata in Nadia district, has no less visitors than any museum these days with electrician Sambhu Roy, who suffered severe burns while almost getting electrocuted from a high-voltage wire, holding his own skull that fell of Sunday last.
The electrician had suffered severe burn injuries while almost getting electrocuted from a high-voltage wire.
"A large dead section of the man's skull came away recently after the affected area had no supply of blood. The man was admitted here in October last year with his scalp completely burnt and later exposing the skull," said surgeon Ratan Lal Bandopadhayay who treated Shambu.
"A part of his skull started loosening due to lack of blood supply like in a burn case and finally it fell off. The skull's inner covering and the membrane which helps produce bone was miraculously unaffected, allowing fresh bone to grow," Bandopadhayay told IANS.
"His brain matters were visible. Luckily, the meninges (the inner covering) was not infected while another membrane called periosteum, which is responsible for producing bone, was unaffected too."
Doctors thought he would die when the skull came off.
"But a new covering on his head formed and that might have pushed the 'dead skull' out," Bandopadhayay explained.
"The new soft covering could be a new skull or a tissue. We will do a CT scan to ascertain it," he said, adding that cases like this were extremely rare.
Roy is likely to be discharged from hospital after a month or so. He is enormously proud of his skull as he holds it before everyone who visits him.
Well, if that sounds like a C grade Ramsay movie, hear what Roy has to say: "I will keep this one even if I have a new skull. After all, my skull has made me famous."