On Wednesday night, eight in-patients with suspected leptospirosis and malaria began vomiting and shivering hours after receiving anti-leptospirosis and anti-malaria injections. The patients were later shifted to the Cooper Hospital due to better facilities for treatment.
"The patients were administered the injections at 10.30 pm. The injection was given to them in the morning. It was around 2.30 am we started getting calls about problems. Two of the patients died early in the morning, while the others were shifted to Cooper Hospital," said Dr Shobhna Misra, medical superintendent of Siddharth Hospital.
The deceased are Renu Yadav (20) and Sajida Ali Shaikh (24) who died hours after receiving the injection.
"She was completely okay in the evening and the doctors told me that she would be discharged today. Then in the night, they administered the injection to her. Within minutes, she began vomiting and shivering beyond control. Her condition deteriorated in front of our eyes. We complained to the officials that there was some problem with treatment. There were doctors, but they couldn't do anything to save her," said Tirku Yadav, Renu's father.
Executive Health Officer Dr Jairaj Thanekar said: "A total of eight patients had come with similar symptoms fever, vomiting and headache. A few had low platelet count. The two females who died were diagnosed with leptospirosis but their platelet count was not low. We are now awaiting the post-mortem report which will verify whether it was an allergy or a reaction to the drug that caused their deaths. The other patients were shifted to Cooper Hospital because of better infrastructure there."
A case has been registered by the Goregaon police.