by Dr. Trupti Shirole on  December 4, 2011 at 4:50 PM General Health News
 Toddlers Served Cleaning Fluid at Toby Carvery
16-month old Sophie Watkinson and 1-year old Daniel Martin were accidentally served industrial cleaning fluid instead of water at the Toby Carvery, on Ecclesall Road South, in Sheffield, owned by parent company Mitchells & Butlers. The chemical used to clean pipes had been left in an unmarked jug, which waiters unwittingly used to fill the children's drinks bottle.

As soon as the toddlers sipped the drink, they started coughing, choking and vomiting. On tasting the drink the parents found it tasted and smelled of bleach. Both the children were immediately rushed to Sheffield Children's Hospital and tests were performed on them.

The firm took the complete responsibility of this mishap and assured complete support to the affected families. The restaurant manger co-operated with the families and even handed over the bottle of the fluid so that doctors could analyze the patients well.

Spokesperson from the dining chain claimed to have taken all corrective measures to ensure that health and safety of the consumers is not being compromised at any point of time and staff members have been given proper to avert any such possible accidents in future.

Source: Medindia

Most Popular on Medindia