by Rajashri on  August 8, 2009 at 8:45 PM General Health News
 Toddler in UK Dies After Swine Flu Misdiagnosis
A toddler named Georgia Keeling has died after doctors in the UK misdiagnosed her meningitis as swine flu.

Instead of receiving emergency care, the toddler's parents claim they were given Tamiflu and Calpol.

"She was showing the three most basic signs of meningitis - the rash, the temperature and the drowsiness. Plus she was sick the night before," Georgia's father Paul Sewell told Sky News. "I told NHS Direct the symptoms and they said 'sounds like a virus' and to give it 48 hours to see how it goes."

Georgia's mother, Tasha, said she contacted local health services, who said her baby could be suffering from swine flu. She eventually called 999, but a paramedic who arrived at her home said the kid had swine flu and gave Tamiflu and Calpol, adding that an ambulance was not necessary.

By the time an ambulance arrived and took the girl to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, it was too late and she died of suspected meningitis at the hospital.

Source: Medindia
RAS

Most Popular on Medindia