by Dr. Trupti Shirole on  February 2, 2011 at 11:57 PM Diet & Nutrition News
 To Avoid Infant Botulism Don't Give Honey to Children Below 1year
To avoid infant botulism children below one year of age should not be fed honey, says Health Canada. According to the agency honey is the only food in Canada that has been linked to infant botulism. Therefore the authorities have advised against mixing honey in infant food.

Clostridium Botulinum causes infant botulism in children less than 1 year of age and can even lead to paralysis. The bacteria does not change the color, odor or taste of honey and is neither destroyed by cooking. It is incapable of growing or producing any toxins in honey, however if the child swallows such honey the spores in the bacteria grow and produce toxins in the body.


After ingestion of honey if an infant shows signs like- weak cry, inability to suck, no bowel movements, weak neck, wobbly muscles, lack of facial expressions, inability to swallow or difficulty in breathing then please contact the doctor immediately.

Source: Medindia

Most Popular on Medindia