India on Monday reported two more swine flu deaths. A 35-year-old Ayurvedic doctor in Pune and a four-year-old boy in Chennai succumbed to the virus this morning. The death toll has now risen to six in India.
In Pune, Babasahib Mane, an Ayurvedic doctor, was admitted to the Sassoon General Hospital five days ago and had been on the ventilator for the past three days, has declared dead on Monday.
Meanwhile, a four-year-old boy has died in Chennai. The boy was admitted to a private hospital first, and was critical and suffering from multiple-organ ailments. After testing positive for swine flu, he was put on a ventilator in a private hospital.
On Sunday, Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan said his Government was considering a proposal to allow private hospitals fulfilling Government guidelines to treat swine flu cases.
Chavan had convened a five-hour-long high-level meeting to assess the impact of swine flu in the state.
Chavan said: "A decision on the issue would be taken in two days after a meeting with private hospital managements. Those private hospitals who are willing to set up isolated wards and follow Government of India's guidelines would be considered.
Among the four previous swine flu victims are a 43-year-old Non-Resident Indian (NRI), who died at the City Civil Hospital in Ahmedabad on Sunday, 53-year-old Fahmida Panwala from Mumbai, 42-year-old teacher Sanjay Tukaram Kokre from Pune and a 14-year-old schoolgirl Reeda Shaikh also from Pune.