Providing skin-to-skin contact with fathers helps newborns after cesarean delivery, revealed a new study published in Acta Paediatrica.
For the study, 95 newborns were randomized to the cot, father's arms, or skin-to-skin contact with the father after cesarean section delivery.
The study results revealed the advantages of skin-to-skin than the cot or fathers' arms groups:
- Higher heart rates were higher.
- More stable physiological parameters and wakefulness.
- Calms and relaxes the newborn
- Stimulates interest in feeding
- Regulates body temperature
- Assists with growth
- Improves oxygen saturation