Eight years after Nepal's crown prince gunned down most of his royal family, the government is to rebuild the house where the massacre took place, the prime minister's spokesman said Thursday.
The house, part of a sprawling palace complex in central Kathmandu, was demolished after the June 2001 massacre in which crown prince Dipendra killed the king and queen before apparently turning his gun on himself.
Now Prime Minister Madhav Kumar Nepal has ordered that the house be rebuilt inside the complex, which was turned into a museum after former King Gyanendra stepped down last year.
An official investigation concluded that Dipendra gunned down his relatives in a drink- and drugs-fuelled rage after being prevented from marrying the woman he loved.
But many people in Nepal do not believe the official line, and the country's Maoist former prime minister Pushpa Kamal Dahal had promised a fresh investigation before he resigned from the post in May.
Prime Minister Nepal said late Wednesday a new investigation should be held, but that his priority was the writing of the country's new constitution.