by Kathy Jones on  November 29, 2011 at 7:52 PM Indian Health News
 Man Who Swallowed Coins, Iron Pellets, Bolts and Keys Dies After Surgery
A 28-year old man in Chhattisgarh was found to have swallowed more than 6 kilograms of iron objects and died shortly after doctors performed surgery to remove the items from his stomach.

Kamleshwar Singh was admitted to Shristi Institute of Medical Science and Research Centre in Korba Town after he complained of recurring abdominal pain. X-rays and sonography revealed intestinal blockage and presence of a few lumps inside his stomach.

However when the doctors performed the operation, they found that Kamleshwar had swallowed 431 coins, 196 iron pellets, 17 small bolts and 3 keys. Though the doctors managed to successfully remove the items, they were unable to save his life.

The doctors suspect that Kamleshwar was suffering from schizophrenia and psychiatric problems. His family was unaware of his bizarre habit though his wife said that he often complained of stomach ache.

"My husband complained of frequent stomach ache and spent sleepless nights in the past four weeks. But he kept us in the dark about swallowing iron objects. He stopped going to the field citing weakness and was even unable to have his regular meals", she said.


Source: Medindia

Most Popular on Medindia