About My Health Careers Internship MedBlogs Contact us
Medindia LOGIN REGISTER
Advertisement

London Drum-maker Dies After Inhaling Anthrax

by VR Sreeraman on November 3, 2008 at 1:18 PM
Font : A-A+

 London Drum-maker Dies After Inhaling Anthrax

A London drum-maker who inhaled anthrax spores while handling imported animal skins died Sunday, the hospital treating him said.

Fernando Gomez, 35, from Hackney in east London, had been in intensive care for several days but his condition deteriorated overnight and he died around lunchtime, the Homerton University Hospital said.

Advertisement

Health Protection Agency (HPA) staff have sealed off his flat and are due to inspect his workshop this week to test for further signs of the disease, which can cause a skin infection or, as in this case, be inhaled into the lungs.

Seven people who had been in the room where the animal hides were prepared have been given antibiotics as a precaution, but HPA officials said no-one else has developed symptoms of anthrax.
Advertisement

Anthrax is a highly contagious infection that usually only afflicts livestock, but can be transmitted to humans who handle or eat infected animals. Anthrax inhalation is very rare, and is not contagious.

Officials stress there is little risk to people playing animal hide drums, only those making them, and Britain has tough regulations on hide imports.

The last death of this kind in Britain was in Scotland in 2006, when 50-year-old Christopher Norris, who made artworks and instruments including drums, died after inhaling anthrax.

A subsequent report said it was likely Norris died after playing or handling anthrax-contaminated West African drums at a drumming workshop.

Source: AFP
SRM/SK
Advertisement

Advertisement
News A-Z
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Advertisement
News Category
What's New on Medindia
Cervical Cancer Awareness Month 2022
Ultra-Low-Fat Diet
Goji Berries May Protect Against Age-Related Vision Loss
View all

Medindia Newsletters Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

More News on:
Anthrax Bioterrorism 

Recommended Reading
Anthrax
Anthrax is caused by the bacterium Bacillus anthracis and spreads when the anthrax spores are ......
Skin Disease | Dermatology - Viral Bacterial and Fungal Skin Problems
Different types of virus cause viral skin infections. These infections may not be long lasting, but ...
Bioterrorism-an interactive analysis - Animation
Interactive section of Medindia gives general the analysed information about bioterrorism...

Disclaimer - All information and content on this site are for information and educational purposes only. The information should not be used for either diagnosis or treatment or both for any health related problem or disease. Always seek the advice of a qualified physician for medical diagnosis and treatment. Full Disclaimer

© All Rights Reserved 1997 - 2022

This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Use
open close
CONSULT A DOCTOR
I have read and I do accept terms of use - Telemedicine

Advantage Medindia: FREE subscription for 'Personalised Health & Wellness website with consultation' (Value Rs.300/-)