Kidney Disease And Dialysis Treatment Is Expensive

by Vanessa Jones on  November 28, 2014 at 4:07 PM Health Insurance News
RSS Email Print This Page Comment bookmark
Font : A-A+

Cost of dialysis and kidney transplants are high but usually kidney patients can be covered by insurance for these. You need to work with your dialysis social worker and the transplant coordinator to know more about the insurance options. There are a few pointers, which might be of help.
Kidney Disease And Dialysis Treatment Is Expensive
Kidney Disease And Dialysis Treatment Is Expensive

The types of insurance that may help are - Medicare, Medigap, and Medicaid, Group insurance or private insurance. The insurance can help pay for medicines, kidney transplants or other related costs.

Medicare for senior citizens above 65 years is available, under which individuals with kidney problems and permanent kidney failure - End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) are covered. Also, under this insurance there are clauses where those with Medicare Part A are fully covered, Part B has 80% covers and you have to pay a monthly premium.

Although Medicare can pay part of the costs it will not prove to be enough so you should think of an additional insurance.

With a private insurance and group insurance the cover will pay for dialysis and kidney transplants. However, it will be an advantage to have both types of insurances.  For the first 30 months the private or group insurance will pay 80% and Medicare will take care of 20%. After 30 months Medicare will take over 80% and the group or private insurance will cover 20%. Read the insurance documents carefully for other rules and clauses attached.

Medigap is an insurance used to fill the gaps for example if Medicare is paying 80%, Medigap can be used to pay the remaining 20%. Medigap is a type of "extra" insurance to help fill the gaps in Medicare. You need to have Medicare insurance to qualify for Medigap; in some states it is only available to those above 65.

Medicaid is a health insurance for people with a low income. It can also work as a second insurance for those with Medicare. The rules differ in each state so the social worker in your state can guide you about the Medicaid rules in your state.

American Kidney Fund Safety Net Grants Program helps dialysis and transplant patients to cover costs like transportation, medication and nutritional supplements. They also help dialysis and transplant patients.

Reference: American Kidney Fund
Source: Medindia

Post a Comment

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
Notify me when reply is posted
I agree to the terms and conditions

Recommended Reading

More News on:

Acute Renal Failure Dialysis Urinary Stones In Children Vesico-Ureteric Reflux Causing UTI in Children Hydronephrosis / Antenatal Counseling Kidney Disease Kidney Kidney Health Stones in Urinary Tract Renal Tubular Acidosis 

News A - Z


News Search

Medindia Newsletters

Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!

Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Find a Doctor

Stay Connected

  • Available on the Android Market
  • Available on the App Store

News Category

News Archive