on Monday said that the 28-year-old Indian mum who had more than 30% of her
skin peeled off due to a rare drug side effect might suffer from long-term
there are no imminent threats to Heena Mustaqeem Khan's life anymore, medicos
are closely monitoring her for any permanent damage to skin and eye sight.
The young mother of two suffered from the severest form of Stevens-Johnson
Syndrome called toxic epidermal necrolysis (TEN), in which over 30 % of the
body surface is covered in blisters.
lad lost all four layers of the skin in certain areas. Over the last eleven
days, she has grown about two layers of skin. That will protect her from
infection. However, she remains vulnerable to ocular complications, including
blindness. Four of our eye specialists are monitoring her constantly,"
said Dr H Pardawalla, her physician at Saifee Hospital.
Heena Mustaqeem may also develop photosensitivity where it may not be possible
for her to step out in the sun directly.
"She may also develop life-long scars in areas where
the burns were deep," said the physician.
The lady from the western region of India had developed a
rare allergic reaction after being prescribed drugs from the penicillin family
on November 23 to check her infection and fever.
Expert doctors say that at least 289 commonly prescribed drugs can cause this
kind of reaction, and there is no way a doctor will know which patient will
suffer this reaction.