by Rathi Manohar on  January 27, 2011 at 9:29 PM Environmental Health
 Holiday-makers Put Off by Algae
Lake Eildon and Lake Eppalock in Victoria, Australia visited by holiday-makers every year have potentially toxic blue-green algae which have reached high alert levels.

Goulburn-Murray Water, managing water storage, delivery and drainage systems in Victoria, has warned people to stay out of the water. Contact with algae can result in skin irritation, sore eyes, ears and nose, and nausea and vomiting if water is ingested.

 Andrew Reynolds, acting infrastructure general manager at Lake Eppalock, stated, "Generally warmer weather and high nutrient levels will lead to blooms. Current inflows will have washed a lot of nutrients into the water and it has been warmer."

Till the levels of algae go down holiday makers have been warned not to swim, water-ski or eat the fish. Water users at Lake Eppalock have been urged to seek an alternative water supply for stock-watering and domestic use.  

Accommodation providers have had to face some cancellations, but they don't seem to be unduly worried.  

Andrew Reynolds gives the assurance, "We continue to monitor levels and when they drop below levels that are hazardous we will issue a notice letting people know it's safe again."

Source: Medindia

Most Popular on Medindia