- Back pain is one of the most common reasons for absenteeism from work with loss of productivity.
- World Spine Day observed annually on the 16th October aims to create and spread awareness about the importance of a healthy spine in improving the quality of one’s life.
Importance Of World Spine DayMany of us may have suffered from back pain that forced us to be confined to the bed at least once in our lifetime. It is also true that many of us adopt poor posture while working, mainly by sitting in uncomfortable and poorly designed chairs that actually harm the back more than we realize. Due to the fast paced and stressful lives of today, people of all age groups, children and adults alike prefer to watch television or play video games rather than being physically active.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), approximately 25 percent of adults are not active enough and more worrying, more than 80 percent of the adolescent population is not active enough!
All these factors contribute to damage to the spine resulting in back pain and stiffness, sometimes severe enough to prevent routine activities, inability to indulge in fun and leisure activities and an overall reduced quality of life.
- World Spine Day (WSD) hopes to spread the message about maintaining a healthy back and spine, and to educate the population to avoid postures or activities that risk the spine.
- Those already suffering from a poor back, and for whom a reversal of the condition is not possible, resort to finding ways of coping, and accessing available treatments across various disciplines and preventing progression.
- WSD provides a platform for people to come together and share stories, acquire knowledge and educate others about spine health.
Birth Of World Spine DayThe first World Spine Day (WSD) was established in 2012, spearheaded by the Global Alliance for Musculoskeletal Health in partnership with several organizations to raise awareness about preventing and managing spinal disorders. In fact the period between 2010- 2020 has been designated as the Bone and Joint Decade (BJD), committed to bone and joint health.
World Spine Day 2017 - Your Back In ActionThe theme for the World Spine Day 2017 is "Your Back In Action" which emphasizes the importance of good posture and physical activity to reduce wear and tear and damage to the spine.
The program targets individuals, communities, and health professionals to become aware and improve their spine health.
Back Pain Facts
- Back pain is one of the leading reasons for missing work and the second leading cause for visiting a doctor next only to upper respiratory infections
- It is estimated that 80 percent of the population will suffer from back pain or neck pain at some point in their lives
- In low and middle income countries increasing age is one of the main causes for back pain
- Back pain is the fourth leading cause of impacting the health of the global population and low back pain is the sixth most burdening disease according to the Global Burden of Disease Study
- Most cases of back pain are due to mechanical causes such as poor posture, ill-fitting shoes, poorly designed chairs, unsupportive mattress, or being overweight, rather than serious conditions such as arthritis or fractures
- In severe cases, back pain can lead to loss of economic dependence and increase in physical dependence on others
- It is estimated that Americans spend $ 50 billion annually on back pain
Tips To Prevent Back Pain
- Adopt a healthy diet and maintain a healthy weight
- Remain active - avoid remaining inactive or bed bound for long periods
- Warm up or loosen muscles after a period of inactivity before exercising or physical activity
- Maintain a straight backed posture and avoid slouching
- Wear comfortable, low-heeled shoes
- Sleep on a mattress that is moderately firm to minimize any curve in your spine
- Quit smoking - smoking reduces blood flow to spine and increases damage
- Sit in ergonomically designed chairs while working
- Bend the legs at the knee while lifting heavy weights, avoid twisting the back
- Practice exercises prescribed by your doctor or chiropractor to reduce progression of back pain
- Take calcium and vitamin D supplements for strong healthy bones
- About World Spine Day - (http://www.worldspineday.org/world-spine-day/about-wsd/)
- World Spine Day 2017 - "Your Back In Action" - (http://www.worldspineday.org/)
- World Spine Day - (http://westsussexchiropractor.co.uk/west-sussex-chiropractor/world-spine-day)
- Preventing back pain - (http://www.worldspineday.org/keeping-active/)