- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia is a cancer that specifically affects the lymphocytes (a type of white blood cells).
- Venetoclax drug has been approved in Australia for treating Stage 4 chronic lymphocytic leukemia patients.
- The drug acts by blocking the BCL-2 (B-Cell lymphoma 2) protein which allows the cancer cells to survive.
New drug that melts away cancer cells in a particular type of leukemia called Chronic Lymphocytic leukemia was approved in Australia.
The regulatory body of Australia, Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) has approved the drug venetoclax for the treatment of stage 4 leukemia.
Chronic lymphocytic leukemia is a type of cancer in the bone marrow which leads to the abnormal proliferation of white blood cells (mainly the lymphocytes).
Around 70 patients were found to receive venetoclax drug since 2011.
Maryann Anderson from Victorian Comphrensive Cancer Centre, said, "What we found in our studies was that 80% of patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia will actually respond to this drug."
She, added,"Approximately 20% will achieve a complete remission."
Venetoclax drug is a BCL-2 inhibitor drug prescribed for a type of white blood cell cancer known as chronic lymphocytic leukemia. The drug is manufactured by the pharmaceutical company AbbVie.
Mechanism of Action
Venetoclax drug acts by blocking the action of specific protein called BCL-2. The BCL-2 protein was found to be more active in most of the cancer types and particularly in leukemia, said, Professor David Huang.
Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- Old age is a risk factor for developing chronic lymphocytic leukemia.
- About 1,000 people are diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukemia every year in Australia.
- Swollen lymph nodes are the common sign for chronic lymphocytic leukemia.
- Blood, bone marrow and lymph nodes are usually diagnosed for chronic lymphocytic leukemia.
- Women have a better prognosis for chronic lymphocytic leukemia when compared to men.
- Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) - (http://www.leukaemia.org.au/blood-cancers/leukaemias/chronic-lymphocytic-leukaemia-cll )
- General Information About Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia - (https://www.cancer.gov/types/leukemia/patient/cll-treatment-pdq )
- Venetoclax - Drug Information - (//www.medindia.net/doctors/drug_information/venetoclax.htm )