- Chronic immunological and neurological diseases (CIND) such as myalgic encephalomyelitis, fibromyalgia, multiple chemical sensitivity are complex illnesses.
- The international awareness day for chronic immunological and neurological diseases (CIND) is observed on 12 May every year.
- The day aims to raise awareness and educate the public about the seriousness of the debilitating diseases.
Chronic Immunological and Neurological Diseases may include Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), also known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), Fibromyalgia (FM), Gulf War Syndrome (GWS) and Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS).
The day is designated to spread awareness among people and help the world to understand the seriousness of certain diseases and conditions.
International Awareness Day - HistoryThe International Awareness Day is designated on 12 May to commemorate the birth anniversary of Florence Nightingale.
The idea of creating awareness on 12 May originated with Tom Hennessy, the founder of RESCIND, Inc. (Repeal Existing Stereotypes about Chronic Immunological and Neurological Diseases) who created awareness for the spectrum of CINDs.
The importance of the International Awareness Day was highlighted on 12 May at a World Medical Conference on Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) in 1995.
Ribbons UsedThe ribbons are used as a symbol of awareness or support for a cause. The three colors that are used for the International Awareness Day include
- Blue - Awareness of Myalgic Encephalitis
- Purple - Awareness of Fibromyalgia
- Green - Awareness of Multiple Chemical Sensitivity
Chronic Immunological and Neurological Diseases (CIND)Chronic immunological and neurological diseases are complex illnesses and the symptoms could vary from one patient to another thus making them difficult to diagnose.
Some of the common chronic immunological illnesses include
- Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME)/ Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
- Lyme Disease
- Gulf War Syndrome
- Multiple Chemical Sensitivity
Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME)/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME),is a complex disorder that causes muscle pain due to the inflammation in the brain and the spinal cord. It is also referred to as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) and is characterized by a number of symptoms and substantial debility that affects the daily activities.
Around one million people in America are estimated to have ME/CFS. Although most common among women, it is capable of affecting people of all ages including children.
- Marked fatigue and weakness
- Cognitive dysfunction
- Muscle weakness
- Neck pain
- Vision abnormalities
FibromyalgiaIt is a disorder characterized by musculoskeletal pain involving fatigue, sleep, memory and mood issues. Symptoms could begin after a trauma, surgery, infection or stress.
Some of the symptoms in people with fibromyalgia are
- difficulty in sleeping
- painful menstrual periods
- thinking problems
- tingling or numbness in hands
Multiple Chemical SensitivityMultiple Chemical Sensitivity is often linked to multiple symptoms or sensitivity to different pollutants or chemicals that include solvents, perfumes, petrol, smoke.
Several efforts are taken up by leading organizations and individual support groups to raise awareness and educate the public, healthcare professionals, government officials and legislative bodies about fibromyalgia, myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), chronic pain illnesses.
- May 12th International Awareness Day - CIND - (http://www.may12th.org/)
- MAY 12th International Awareness Day - (http://www.may12th.org/pdf/May12th-History.pdf)
- ME/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Awareness Day - (https://www.cdc.gov/features/cfsawarenessday/)
- Myalgic Encephalomyelitis - (http://www.may12th.org/illnesses/me/)
- Fibromyalgia - (https://medlineplus.gov/fibromyalgia.html)
- About Myalgic Encephalomyelitis - (https://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/myalgic-encephalomyelitis/)
- What is Multiple Chemical Sensitivity - (https://www.multiplechemicalsensitivity.org/)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Madhumathi Palaniappan. (2017, May 12). International Awareness Day for Chronic Immunological and Neurological Diseases (CIND) 2017. Medindia. Retrieved on Aug 08, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/news/healthwatch/international-awareness-day-for-chronic-immunological-and-neurological-diseases-cind-2017-170011-1.htm.
Madhumathi Palaniappan. "International Awareness Day for Chronic Immunological and Neurological Diseases (CIND) 2017". Medindia. Aug 08, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/news/healthwatch/international-awareness-day-for-chronic-immunological-and-neurological-diseases-cind-2017-170011-1.htm>.
Madhumathi Palaniappan. "International Awareness Day for Chronic Immunological and Neurological Diseases (CIND) 2017". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/news/healthwatch/international-awareness-day-for-chronic-immunological-and-neurological-diseases-cind-2017-170011-1.htm. (accessed Aug 08, 2022).
Madhumathi Palaniappan. 2021. International Awareness Day for Chronic Immunological and Neurological Diseases (CIND) 2017. Medindia, viewed Aug 08, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/news/healthwatch/international-awareness-day-for-chronic-immunological-and-neurological-diseases-cind-2017-170011-1.htm.