- Link between vitamin D deficiency during pregnancy and autism risk identified.
- Prenatal vitamin D supplements could cut the incidence of autism.
- Vitamin D invests in the well-being of your baby by supporting healthy bone development.
Not getting enough vitamin D during pregnancy could increase the chances of having a child with autism.
Queensland Brain Institute researchers took the blood samples from more than 4,000 pregnant women and their children. Blood samples with a vitamin D reading of less than 25.0 nmol are considered deficient.
The study has found an association between vitamin D deficiency during pregnancy and autism.
The solution to boosting vitamin D levels was not seeking out more sun, Professor McGrath said.
'We would not recommend more sun exposure, because of the increased risk of skin cancer in countries like Australia. Instead, it's feasible that a safe, inexpensive, and publicly accessible vitamin D supplement in at-risk groups may reduce the prevalence of this risk factor.'
Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Autism spectrum disorder or ASD refers to a group of developmental disabilities such as difficulties with communication and social interaction.
- 1 in 68 children has been identified with ASD, according to CDC.
- It is 4.5 times more common among boys than in girls.
- Parents who have their first child with ASD have a 2-18% chance of having the second child also with ASD.
- Kids born to older parents are at an increased risk for having ASD.
- Over 18 million people with autism in India.
- Egg yolk
- Cod liver oil
- Autism Information - ( https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/data.html)
- Autism in India - (http://www.autism-india.org/autism-india.php)
- Vitamin D and Pregnancy - ( http://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-health/vitamin-d-and-pregnancy/)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Sheela Philomena. (2016, December 14). Autism Linked to Vitamin D Deficiency During Pregnancy. Medindia. Retrieved on Aug 07, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/news/healthwatch/autism-linked-to-vitamin-d-deficiency-during-pregnancy-166144-1.htm.
Sheela Philomena. "Autism Linked to Vitamin D Deficiency During Pregnancy". Medindia. Aug 07, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/news/healthwatch/autism-linked-to-vitamin-d-deficiency-during-pregnancy-166144-1.htm>.
Sheela Philomena. "Autism Linked to Vitamin D Deficiency During Pregnancy". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/news/healthwatch/autism-linked-to-vitamin-d-deficiency-during-pregnancy-166144-1.htm. (accessed Aug 07, 2022).
Sheela Philomena. 2021. Autism Linked to Vitamin D Deficiency During Pregnancy. Medindia, viewed Aug 07, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/news/healthwatch/autism-linked-to-vitamin-d-deficiency-during-pregnancy-166144-1.htm.