- Adults from Israel appeared to be at an increased risk for end-stage renal disease (ESRD) if they suffered from kidney disease in childhood.
- The increased risk appears to be present even after apparent complete resolution of the condition in childhood.
- Children with childhood kidney disease should therefore be regularly monitored so that adequate measures can be taken to prevent ESRD.
kidney disease can increase the risk of end-stage
kidney disease (ESRD)
in adulthood, even
after complete healing. This was the finding of a
study from Israel and published in the New
England Journal of Medicine.
The scientists involved in the study obtained information of childhood kidney diseases by sifting through the medical records of more than 1.5 million adolescents who were recruited for compulsory military service in Israel between the years 1967 and 1997. The average age of the adolescents included in the study was 17.7 years. Subsequent information of the occurrence of ESRD in adulthood was obtained from the Israeli ESRD registry.
The scientists noted that:
- The adolescents who suffered from childhood kidney disease had normal kidney function and blood pressure measurement at the time of recruitment into the military.
- A total of 2490 recruits suffered from ESRD in later life. Individuals who had a kidney disease in childhood were at a higher risk of ESRD than those without a documented childhood kidney disease. The increased risk was despite the fact that the kidney problem had resolved in childhood. The ESRD also developed at an earlier age in these individuals.
- The increased risk for ESRD was independent of the type of childhood kidney condition. The childhood kidney diseases considered in the study included congenital malformations of the kidney and the urinary tract, infection (pyelonephritis or glomerular diseases.)
About Childhood Kidney DiseasesKidney diseases in children can affect the growth and development of the children. They can be acute, and if not resolved, can progress into a chronic form.
Childhood kidney diseases can also be caused due to the following:
- Birth defects like kidney dysplasia or absent kidney, inherited conditions like polycystic kidney disease and Alport syndrome.
- Infections can also result in conditions like hemolytic uremic syndrome and acute post-streptococcal glomerulonephritis, nephrotic syndrome.
- Generalized disorders like diabetes and systemic lupus erythematosus or trauma to the kidney due to injury, dehydration, surgery or reflux of urine into the kidney.
- Ingelfinger JR. A Disturbing Legacy of Childhood Kidney Disease. N Engl J Med 2018; 378:470-471. DOI: 10.1056/NEJMe1716499
- Calderon-Margalit R et al. History of Childhood Kidney Disease and Risk of Adult End-Stage Renal Disease. History of Childhood Kidney Disease and Risk of Adult End-Stage Renal Disease. N Engl J Med 2018; 378:428-438DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa1700993
- Kidney Disease in Children - (https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/kidney-disease/children)
- Caring for a Child with Kidney Disease - (https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/kidney-disease/children/caring-child-kidney-disease)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Simi Paknikar. (2018, February 03). Kidney Disease in Children Increases the Risk of End Stage Renal Disease(ESRD) in Adulthood. Medindia. Retrieved on Sep 26, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/news/healthinfocus/kidney-disease-in-children-increases-the-risk-of-end-stage-renal-disease-esrd-in-adulthood-176704-1.htm.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Kidney Disease in Children Increases the Risk of End Stage Renal Disease(ESRD) in Adulthood". Medindia. Sep 26, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/news/healthinfocus/kidney-disease-in-children-increases-the-risk-of-end-stage-renal-disease-esrd-in-adulthood-176704-1.htm>.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Kidney Disease in Children Increases the Risk of End Stage Renal Disease(ESRD) in Adulthood". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/news/healthinfocus/kidney-disease-in-children-increases-the-risk-of-end-stage-renal-disease-esrd-in-adulthood-176704-1.htm. (accessed Sep 26, 2022).
Dr. Simi Paknikar. 2021. Kidney Disease in Children Increases the Risk of End Stage Renal Disease(ESRD) in Adulthood. Medindia, viewed Sep 26, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/news/healthinfocus/kidney-disease-in-children-increases-the-risk-of-end-stage-renal-disease-esrd-in-adulthood-176704-1.htm.