- Yo home sperm test has been
approved by US FDA and also claims CE mark, which
is a legal requirement for marketing devices in Europe.
- The test evaluates sperm motility
and count precisely and displays the results on the smartphone screen very
- Helps men to find their fertility
status by performing the test at home without getting embarrassed in
How to Perform YO Home Sperm Test?
YO home sperm
test was developed assess the sperm status in
the comfort of his home. This is done by attaching the YO kit
to the smartphone. The live videos of moving sperms can be seen on the
smartphone display which is one of the major advantages over the other existing
fertility tests offered by YO home sperm test is very user-friendly as it is
easy to assemble and use. The YO kit comes with a sample cup for collecting the
sample and a testing slide. It also contains a special powder for testing which
liquefies the sample, thereby making it easier to place the sample on the testing slide. A plastic
pipette is also available with the kit which is used to place the sample on the
mini-microscope. The mini microscope can be easily attached to the smartphone
which is then ready for the testing process.
‘YO home sperm test is a test easily performed at home by using YO app that helps to view the quick live videos of the sperm by using a mini-microscope provided along with the kit attached to the smartphone.’
testing powder is added to the sample in the collection cup and to be mixed
thoroughly. The mixture is allowed to set for a time-period of ten minutes.
Then it is placed on the testing slide with the help of a plastic pipette provided
with the kit. The slide is then inserted into the YO device and finally
attached to the compatible smartphone for viewing the live videos.
The app in the smartphone analyzes the 30-second video of the sample and displays the results on the smartphone. The results can also be saved in the smartphone and can be discussed while visiting the physician later. The results apparently have an accuracy rate of 97 percent.
In the last century the male sperm count has shown a gradual downward trend and Male infertility
is slowly on the increase. Infertility can be addressed in a couple, when they do not conceive after one year of having normal sexual activity without using contraceptives.
It is estimated that the male partner is found to be the sole or contributing factor in approximately 40 % of infertility cases.
What are the Causes of Male Infertility?
There are many causes for male infertility. There can also be contributing environmental factors. Some common causes are listed below -
- Inflammation of testicles
- Undescended testicles
- Pre-existing genetic disorder
- Swollen veins in the scrotum - Varicocele
- Injury to the groin area
- Hormone disorder
- Bilateral Vasectomy
Factors that contribute to male infertility include -
- Use of alcohol and / or tobacco
- Chemicals found in soaps, sunscreen lotions or plastic
- Wearing inappropriate underwear
- Exposure to radiation or harmful chemicals
Instructions to follow before collecting semen specimen
It is always necessary to follow some instructions to obtain accurate results. These instructions can be obtained from the healthcare provider.
- It is advisable that you do not to ejaculate for 3 to 7 days before collecting semen.
- Do not have any sexual activity before 72 hours of collecting the specimen.
- The entire specimen must be collected in the sample container by masturbation.
- The specimen can be analyzed by using YO home sperm test kit. If not the specimen can be transported to the laboratory in a tightly closed container by maintaining at room temperature.
- Using condom or lubricant is not advised as it may contaminate the specimen.
- The sample must be taken to the laboratory within 30 minutes of collection.
- Department of Health & Human Services - (https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/pdf16/K161493.pdf)
- Yo In-Home Sperm Test Checks Basic Male Fertility Using Your Smartphone - (https://www.nyfertility.org/infertilty-blog/yo-home-sperm-test-checks-basic-male-fertility-using-smartphone)
- Semen Analysis Instructions - (http://www.pamf.org/fertility/forms/instructions/FC_SemenAnalysis.pdf)
- Male Infertility - (http://americanpregnancy.org/infertility/male-infertility/)
- YO Home Sperm Test - Male Fertility Test - (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gtvdAAYAnU)