- US FDA approved a new SGLT 2 inhibitor drug called ertugliflozin for treating adult patients suffering from type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- Ertugliflozin can be used as an adjunct treatment to diet and exercise as a monotherapy, as well as in combination with either sitagliptin or metformin.
- The new therapy’s benefits include reducing HbA1c levels, decreasing body weight and not causing any adverse effects on bone mineral density.
Use of Ertugliflozin in Type 2 DiabetesErtugliflozin is a novel SGLT 2 inhibitor which was approved by US FDA for its effective glycemic control. The FDA approval was based on the successful completion of at least seven phase III clinical trials carried out on nearly 4800 patients with type 2 diabetes.
The drug treatment aims at reducing the glycosylated or glycated hemoglobin to less than 7% in type 2 diabetes patients as HbA1c is found to be the key component in managing diabetes.
The use of ertugliflozin monotherapy is indicated as an adjunctive treatment to diet and exercise. Similarly, the fixed-dose combination of ertugliflozin and sitagliptin can be prescribed only when diet, exercise and ertugliflozin monotherapy do not show any response. However, depending on the patient's diabetic condition ertugliflozin offers better glycemic control both as a monotherapy and in combination therapy with metformin or sitagliptin. It works by excreting excess glucose through urine, thereby showing a marked decrease in the elevated blood sugar levels.
‘Ertugliflozin is an oral anti-diabetes drug approved by US FDA that is effective in reducing increased blood sugar levels both as a monotherapy and as a fixed-dose combination with either metformin or sitagliptin.’
Contraindications of ErtugliflozinErtugliflozin therapy is not recommended in the following conditions
- Type 1 diabetes
- Diabetic ketoacidosis
- Severe kidney disease or patients on dialysis
- Allergic to ertugliflozin
How to live healthy with Type 2 DiabetesAlthough, diabetes is a serious disease it can be managed effectively. It is very important to know about the disease and its complications and tips to stay healthy with diabetes. A diabetologist can help in counseling about the disease.
1. ABC' s of Diabetes
These key points have to be followed by diabetes patients regularly to avoid severe complications. Keeping the following parameters under proper control can help in increasing the quality of life in patients with diabetes by reducing co-morbid conditions.
A - A1c test (HbA1c or glycosylated hemoglobin)
B - Blood pressure (for cardiac monitoring)
C - Cholesterol (to prevent clogging of blood vessels)
2. Coping with diabetes
- Take the diabetic medications exactly as advised by the physician.
- Stop smoking and limit alcoholic intake.
- Eat foods that are low in calories, saturated fat, and salt.
- Include vegetables, fruits, skimmed milk, cheese, whole grains, and cereals in the diet.
- Avoid cola or sugary liquids; drink water instead.
- Reduce stress.
- Set targets for being physically active on a regular basis.
- Do a thorough feet examination daily for minor cuts, injuries, blisters or red spots.
- Monitor risk parameters regularly.
- Take an appointment with the treating physician for regular follow-up.
- Discuss with the diabetologist immediately in case of numbness, pain or tingling sensation or any unknown effects.
- Ertugliflozin improves glycemic control, body weight, without adverse bone effects - (https://www.healio.com/endocrinology/diabetes/news/in-the-journals/%7B6efc2b61-11f3-48a3-b1de-3df2edf6dbe5%7D/ertugliflozin-improves-glycemic-control-body-weight-without-adverse-bone-effects)
- New type 2 diabetes drug ertugliflozin approved in US - (http://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2017/dec/new-type-2-diabetes-drug-ertugliflozin-approved-in-us-99312528.html)
- Sodium Glucose Co-Transporter-2 (SGLT2) Inhibitors: A Review of Their Basic and Clinical Pharmacology - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4269649/)
- Step 4: Get routine care to stay healthy - (https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/diabetes/overview/managing-diabetes/4-steps#page4)
- << FDA Approves New Stereotactic Radiotherapy System To Treat E...
- World’s First Ultrasound That “Jump-starts” the Brain Out of... >>