- Post menopausal women with osteoporosis have an increased risk for fractures.
- Injecting the drug Abaloparatide lowers risk for fracture.
- Abaloparatide has also been found to improve bone mineral density.
Osteoporosis is a condition in which the bones become weak and the individual is at high risk for hip fractures. There are no symptoms associated with osteoporosis till the individual breaks a bone, which is why it is called a silent disease.
The risk factors associated with osteoporosis include:
- Small and thin frame
- Older women
- Low bone density or osteopenia
- Post menopausal women
- One in two women suffer from osteoporosis
- One in four men suffer from osteoporosis
- The lifetime risk of fractures for a women of age 60 is 44%
- 54 million Americans suffer from osteoporosis
- The medical costs incurred due to osteoporosis is 34 million dollars in the U.S
Bone Fractures among Osteoporotic Men and WomenBone fractures can be very painful as it requires hospitalization and additional care that would generally affect the quality of life of senior citizens. Fractures that are caused due to osteoporosis could occur without any excessive physical injury, even minor falls could lead to a fracture.
Effect of Abaloparatide on Lowering Fracture Risk among Osteoporotic WomenDr Paul and colleagues from the Colorado Center for Bone Research tested 2 different drugs and a placebo on randomly selected women with osteoporosis. There were 3 groups of study participants
- 824 women with osteoporosis received injections of Abaloparatide
- 818 women with osteoporosis received injections of Teriparatide
- 821 women with osteoporosis received injections of Placebo
New vertebral fractures were seen in
- 0.58% in the Abaloparatide group.
- 0.84% in the Teriparatide group.
- 4.22% in the Placebo group.
- 2.7% in the Abaloparatide group.
- 3.3% in the Teriparatide group.
- 4.7% in the Placebo group.
- Bone mineral density was found to increase when compared with placebo
- The incidence of hypercalcemia was lower in abaloparatide group than in teriparatide group.
- Osteoporosis - (https://medlineplus.gov/osteoporosis.html)
- What is Osteoporosis and What Causes It? - (https://www.nof.org/patients/what-is-osteoporosis/)
- Injected drug reduces risk of fracture among women with osteoporosis - (http://www.eurekalert.org/emb_releases/2016-08/tjnj- idr081216.php)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Amrita Surendranath. (2016, August 17). Abaloparatide Injections Found to Reduce Risk of Fractures Among Osteoporotic Women. Medindia. Retrieved on Jun 26, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/news/healthinfocus/abaloparatide-injections-found-to-reduce-risk-of-fractures-among-osteoporotic-women-162678-1.htm.
Amrita Surendranath. "Abaloparatide Injections Found to Reduce Risk of Fractures Among Osteoporotic Women". Medindia. Jun 26, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/news/healthinfocus/abaloparatide-injections-found-to-reduce-risk-of-fractures-among-osteoporotic-women-162678-1.htm>.
Amrita Surendranath. "Abaloparatide Injections Found to Reduce Risk of Fractures Among Osteoporotic Women". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/news/healthinfocus/abaloparatide-injections-found-to-reduce-risk-of-fractures-among-osteoporotic-women-162678-1.htm. (accessed Jun 26, 2022).
Amrita Surendranath. 2021. Abaloparatide Injections Found to Reduce Risk of Fractures Among Osteoporotic Women. Medindia, viewed Jun 26, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/news/healthinfocus/abaloparatide-injections-found-to-reduce-risk-of-fractures-among-osteoporotic-women-162678-1.htm.