Tia Goode, a 18 year-old college student celebrated her Halloween party very happily by dressing up as a leopard. But as she was removing her make-up and a $7 cheap cat-eye lens from her right eye, it accidentally ripped off her cornea.
The lens was stuck in her eyes and she couldn't remove it. She was unable to remove the contacts and was eventually taken to a hospital.
"The lens was so dry that it had stuck to my eyeball and ripped the cornea completely out with it." said Tia Goode.
She said, "I attempted to get the right one out first, which was the bad one. I had to wake someone up and it took about forty minutes to get out. My eyes were watering like mad and the right one was still killing. I tried to go to sleep but couldn't because the pain was so bad, so I gave up and went up the hospital."
Doctors at the Prince Charles Hospitals told her that the reason she was in so much pain was because the contacts had ripped her cornea. They informed that there won't be any lasting damage to her eye and was given antibiotics and told her to keep her eye covered until it recovers.
Tia has now warned others to stay away from the cheap non-prescription contacts. "I'd recommend not to wear them as they're super dangerous and I didn't realise," she said.
Dr Susan Blakeney, Clinical Adviser to the College of Optometrists , said: "We do want people to know the risks when using novelty contact lenses. As long as they're purchased from a reputable outlet the issue isn't with the lenses themselves but with how people use them. It is absolutely vital that people are able to remove and insert their contact lenses safely and have been instructed on how to do so by an optometrist, contact lens optician or doctor."
"Anyone wearing contact lenses of any sort must make sure they clean them thoroughly after use and disinfect them with the recommended contact lens solution. Never use tap water, the wrong solution, or lick them - and if they drop on the floor don't simply pop them back in," she added.