England's primary school has banned students from wearing goggles while swimming because they are hazardous.
Authorities of St. Sidwells Primary school, Devon say that they are working as per the instructions of the British Association of Advisors and Lecturers in Physical Education (BAALPE), The Telegraph reports. The BAALPE advice states: "Head teachers should inform parents and carers that goggles can be a hazard and cause permanent eye injury.
"Wet plastic is very slippery and frequent, incorrect or unnecessary adjustment or removal of them, by pulling them away from the eyes instead of sliding them over the forehead, can lead to them slipping from the pupil's grasp with the hard plastic causing severe injury."
However, the parents of the pupils are not happy with the move.
Tracy Brock, a parent of a child in the school, said: "I think it's ridiculous. It's health and safety gone too far. My children have worn goggles for years and there's never been a problem before.
"Part of growing up is playing taking risks. Children are being wrapped up in cotton wool now."
Mrs. Brock, whose daughter Tess, 11, uses goggles to avoid chlorine in the water from coming in contact with her eyes while swimming, added: "If it carries on like this we are going to be breeding a generation of namby pambies. They'll be frightened of their own shadow before too long.
"It's ridiculous, but I think it's the suing culture. People in charge of children are afraid of being sued, which is a shame. Everyone I have spoken to agrees with me."
The school is not ready to revoke the decision; it released a statement that said: "In the present culture we need to make sure we are legally covered in the event of a problem or injury.
"We do however try to be flexible and are happy to discuss with parents any concerns they may have."
Steve Kibble, Devon County Council senior education adviser, agrees with the school, he said: "It's been around about 15 years. It's about managing risk. We're saying goggles should only be worn by children who have an adverse reaction to chemicals in the water.