About Careers MedBlog Contact us
Medindia LOGIN REGISTER
Advertisement

Girl Who Swallowed 37 Magnets Undergoes Lifesaving Surgery

by Kathy Jones on March 6, 2012 at 9:29 PM
Font : A-A+

 Girl Who Swallowed 37 Magnets Undergoes Lifesaving Surgery

A 3-year old girl in Oregon, United States, underwent a lifesaving operation after accidentally swallowing 37 magnets.

When Payton Bushnell complained of stomach pain, her parents initially thought that she had stomach ache. However when the pain continued to increase, her parents took her to a doctor where an X-ray scan revealed a ring of small balls in her stomach.

Advertisement

The doctors thought that she had swallowed a bracelet but during the surgery they found that she had swallowed 37 high powered Buckyball magnets that had punched a hole in her stomach and three more in her intestine.

The surgery was conducted just in time and Payton is reported to be recovering from the ordeal. Her mother Kelli Bushnell said that she would not have bought the magnets if she knew how harmful they were. "If we had any idea what those magnets could have done to our daughter's intestines I would have never had them in our house", she said.

Source: Medindia
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
This site uses cookies to deliver our services.By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Use  Ok, Got it. Close
×

Girl Who Swallowed 37 Magnets Undergoes Lifesaving Surgery Personalised Printable Document (PDF)

Please complete this form and we'll send you a personalised information that is requested

You may use this for your own reference or forward it to your friends.

Please use the information prudently. If you are not a medical doctor please remember to consult your healthcare provider as this information is not a substitute for professional advice.

Name *

Email Address *

Country *

Areas of Interests