Saikat Mitra, Creative Director of Van Heusen, Sandeep Gonsalves, Co-founder of SS HOMME, and James Doidge, Head of Menswear Design at Marks & Spencer, break down the style code for men in summer.
‘Dressing smart during summer with lighter fabrics like cotton, linen and seersucker as these fabrics keep you cool.’
- 11 products contained 7 chemicals prohibited in the European Union White is right for summer. Explore different silhouettes and fabric types teamed with denims and you have a great business casual look. A cotton slub white shirt and an easy bi-stretch denim or a pique knit shirt with clean raw denim with hybrid leather brogues keeps it work friendly.
- Light colored linen shirts with rolled sleeves put together with cotton chinos is an easy and comfortable look. Go dark on the trouser for a formal look and khakis and light colors transform the same ensemble to casual.
- Used all year around, but a savior in the summer, the short sleeve shirt comes in many avatars. A trendy printed floral short sleeve shirt with contrast buttons along with formal cotton trousers will add fashion to the formal. Small geometric prints are a great bet too.
- Large 2 / 3 colored check short sleeve shirt with hem details go well with printed textured cotton chinos. Basic gingham checks in seasonal and trend colors are a versatile wardrobe addition too.
- T-Shirts: The ubiquitous T-Shirt has found a safe haven in the corporate wardrobe through well tailored polo T-Shirts. Small geometric printed polo in double mercerized with premium soft sheen and quick dry formal trousers will keep you neat, cool and sharp this summer. A navy quick dry polyester T-shirt with zipped placket put together with a formal tapered drawstring trousers is the 'Work Active' look for summer. Add a lightweight summer knit blazer to complete the business look.
- Summer provides more choices in color, for both suits and accessories. Lighter colors absorb less heat than darker colors, making them perfect choices for summer. Light and pastel colors are a strong focus through the season, and can be seen on everything from linen suits to Oxford casual shirts, T-Shirts and shirts. These aren't just solid colors, but also in stripes and marl textures too.
- Linen is a definite winner when it comes to summer suits. However, if you would like, you could experiment with fabrics such as poplin and seersucker.
- Cotton suits and pure worsted wool suits are also great choices for a versatile summer look. With reference to the styles, the shades of blue and green are ideal.
- Apart from the quintessential summer styles, material and color - what really makes you stand out apart from the rest is the fit of the garment. The technicals of each element of a suit are what can make you look refined and unique from the rest of the crowd.
Create a fashion statement by accessorizing it with a handcrafted accessory, a printed pocket square or a textured pastel tie.