by Kathy Jones on  September 14, 2010 at 10:21 PM General Health News
 Flesh Eating Bacteria in Hong Kong
In what could prove to be worrying news for the health authorities in Hong Kong, a man died after being infected with a flesh eating bacteria to bring the number of such cases to two in the past month.

According to the Centre for Health Protection of the Department for Health, the 48-year old was admitted to the hospital on September 8 after complaining of severe leg pain and shortness of breath.

Empowering Better Health



He had injured both his calves back in July this year and was infected with a rare bacterium known as Vibrio vulnificus.

Though the doctors tried to remove the contaminated flesh, the man went into shock and died soon afterwards. This is the second such case in the city after a 68-year old woman died in similar circumstances when she was infected by the bacteria after injuring her finger when handling a fish.




Source:

Most Popular on Medindia