* Ask a personal trainer to prepare a realistic programme for you.
* Change your programme every four to six weeks.
* Set precise goals. For instance, "I want to lose 10 kg in four weeks". It shouldn't be "I want to lose weight".
* Take an expert's advice on the right nutrition. The best exercise routine will fail if your diet lacks healthy food items.
* Find a training buddy and commit to get fit together.
* Tell others what you are doing - in person and on social networking sites. This makes you accountable.