Zachary Reyna's organs will be donated to those in need. The family's post on Facebook read ,"Zac is our miracle. His spirit will always be among us. He changed all of our lives, brought us closer to God, strengthened our family and his story has touched people around the world."
The boy had contracted this infection in early August while knee boarding with friends in a ditch and the amoeba had caused serious damage to his brain.
Zachary suffered from primary amoebic meningoencephalitis, which is quite rare. This infection damages the brain tissue and is usually fatal. This infection occurs mostly after exposure to contaminated recreational water in swimming pools or while indulging in water sports during summer.
"It's hard for me to believe that Zachary can be lying in bed when this kid would never run out of energy. It's hard for all of us to believe this is happening to him", Zachary's uncle said.